Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pre- Beginning

Today is Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010. It is my son's -- he's my youngest -- 39th birthday. One week from today, Nov. 25, Thanksgiving Day, is my 65th birthday.

And today, I got a double birthday present: My boss let me know my job ends Dec. 31. And that's when Retirement - Year 1 really begins.

This was not unexpected. Earlier this week, I signed up for Social Security and Medicare benefits, effective Jan. 1. My first SS check is to arrive Feb. 23, 2011.

My purpose in this post is to chronicle how a guy of very average -- maybe even below average -- means can make it through the transition year from employed to his new, lifetime, job of retirement. Primarily, it will focus on the financial aspects.

Between now and Jan. 1, I will probably post some more pre-retirement information but the real "job" of being retired won't start for another month and a half. Until then, this blog will be mostly quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment